ANKAAA Board Member, Deputy Chair
Gabriel Nodea was born in 1969 at the Derby Leprosarium hospital. He says his early life was complicated because he moved around to different places throughout the Kimberley. Gabriel says his family moved from Texas Downs station to Wyndham, then to Halls Creek, Nookanbah and finally to Warmun.
There he attended Ngalangangpum Community School and went to high school in Broome. He was the first student from Warmun to complete year ten.
Gabriel has worked for a long time in the Warmun community office and began painting in 2004. He stopped painting for several years, only recently beginning again. He is also a strong dancer and an important holder of Gija culture and language.
‘I paint what I dream. I do contemporary painting about the Dreaming and what I dream, in accordance with the Dreamtime connection and history of my Mother’s people, Gija people.’
In his role as Cultural Liaison Officer at Warmun Art Centre, Gabriel initiates and plans activities and events to ensure that the Art Centre remains a cultural hub for the Warmun Community.
Gija, Walmajarri, Kimberley Kriol, English
Governance & Further Qualifications
- ANKAAA Board, Vice Chairperson (2009 – 2011) & (2013 – 2014)
- ANKAAA Director for the Kimberley region since (2009)
- Warmun Art Centre Board, Chairman (2009 – 2013)
- Warmun Art Centre, Cultural Liaison Officer since (2009)
- Warmun Art Centre, Board Member, since 2009
- Kimberley Law and Culture Centre, Acting Chairperson (2009 – 2010)
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre, Certificate I & II Indigenous Leadership Canberra (2010)
- Wesfarmers Indigenous Leadership Program, National Gallery of Australia, Canberra (2010)
- ORIC Governance Training For ANKAAA Directors, (2013 – 2 Days)
- Court Translator and Interpreter
- Norforce – North-West Mobile Force, Member (1990 – 2005)
- Represented Warmun at No-Name Station exhibition, Year of Australia/China Cultural Exchange, Beijing, China (2010)