ANKAAA Board Member
John Pilakui was born in 1970, and lives on Melville Island in the Tiwi Islands. John became a member of Jilamara Arts and Crafts Association in 2006 and was then voted onto the Executive Committee as an Executive Officer in 2007. He became an ANKAAA Director in 2010.
John has participated as a teacher for the Artist in Residence Program at Jilamara Arts, teaching students from the local Milikapiti Community School about Tiwi culture. In 2013 John was a participant in the ANKAAA Art Worker Extension Program. This nine-month program involved intensive training in a variety of arts administrative skills and networking with national institutions, such as the Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University. As a result of this program, John was able to increase his leadership and technical skills, and further develop his ability to speak up strong for Tiwi culture.
Tiwi Islands, Ranku
Governance & Further Qualifications
- ANKAAA Director (since 2011)
- Indigenous Leadership Centre, Certificate II in Indigenous Leadership (2011)
- Member, Jilamara Arts & Craft (since 2006)
- Jilamara Arts & Craft, Director (2007 – 2013)
- Teacher, Artist in Residence Program, Milikapiti School (2010 – 2013)
- Business Management, Charles Darwin University
- ANKAAA Art Worker Extension Program (2013)